Friday, October 15, 2010

Asher at 3 weeks

DSC_0296 

Well, it’s Friday – the ONLY day this week that Asher has not had an appointment with a specialist…so we slept in :-)   I wish we could get “frequent flyer miles” for running all over town to different doctor’s offices!

Following up on this weeks’ previous blog (False Start), we went back to the Urologist yesterday and got everything all fixed up with Asher’s manhood. So now we have one surgery checked off the list with absolutely no complications at all. They said he didn’t even cry during the surgery! (they did numb him up real good “down there”)

Asher also had his 2-week check-up at his pediatrician’s office this week. It was super encouraging for us - he had gained over 1oz. a day since we left the hospital! He’s eating well, his color is good, his breathing is normal, and everything else checked out just like a normal 2-week-old baby. If we didn’t have pictures of his broken heart, we wouldn’t know anything was out of the ordinary.

OK, now for the big news of the week: on Wednesday we had our first follow-up visit with Asher’s pediatric cardiologist. This visit made me so thankful that God calls people to be in the medical field. Dr. Blair Robinson and his entire staff were AWESOME; we must have asked 100 questions, but we received a thoughtful & sincere answer every single time. As far as Asher’s exam, we received some news that we were expecting as well as some news that we were not expecting.

EXPECTED:  Asher’s O2 saturation was lower (88%-90%). Again, this means that only 88%-90% of his blood is carrying O2 to his body due to the defects in his heart that is blocking some blood from picking up O2 in the lungs. This number will continue to go down as his heart grows and the defects become more pronounced.

NOT EXPECTED:  Asher’s low weight has finally been mentioned as a potential problem. Dr. Robinson told us that Asher was in a “gray area” in regards to his weight. They would like for him to be at 10lbs. before the complete repair surgery takes place. However, if his heart digresses to a point where a repair has to be made and Asher is not at 10lbs., then we would be looking at 2 options: 1) a higher-risk open heart surgery on such a little guy, or 2) a temporary fix involving surgery to put a shunt in Asher’s heart (and then the complete repair surgery would still come at a later date).   *Asher’s weight at the office on Wednesday was 6 lbs. 3oz.*

PLAN OF ACTION:  We go back to the cardiologist as scheduled on Oct 27th and see where Asher stands, both with his weight and his pulmonary stenosis (O2 percentage).  We would LOVE for Asher to only have ONE HEART SURGERY if at all possible, but we are praying for strength to handle whatever the Lord throws our way.

 DSC_0217Asher’s STRONG pose :-)

Thanks so much for everyone that has commented, emailed, called, texted, and dropped by. We are so grateful to see the Body of Christ at work in and around us. Your prayers are sustaining us and giving us hope for each moment. We’ll never be able to say thank you enough!

8 comments:

  1. thanks for the update! what a precious little one :) I'll be praying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying that little Asher will gain some weight so he can only have the one surgery. So glad he has one surgery down! He is so adorable, by the way! I think he looks like Erin. :) Miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to be in know. Will keep checking the blog and praying hard! I just CAN'T GET OVER how much your boys look alike. I guess because the Rupp boys could be total strangers by all physical appearances:)

    Love you all SO much.
    Rupps

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh guys. I will really be praying for you and little Asher. How hard for you, and even Brennan. We want you to know that we are praying and always looking for updates. I know that everything seems so hard right now. Your faith is inspiring. I wonder sometimes how I would react in such a difficult situation. I hope I would have as much hope and faith as you. Continuing to pray, and believing in a God who heals, Jarrett and Lara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pic of Asher - what a cutie! Can't wait to meet him. Glad to hear he is gaining weight and we'll be praying that he really packs it on to keep it to one surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Asher and your family are in my prayers and on my church's prayer list.

    He is so beautiful. He looks like Brennen to me.

    Vickie VonBergen (Your dad's keeper...lol)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erin and Marty,
    What a beautiful baby! I hope he does well when the surgery occurs and I will be praying for him. Lots of Love, Margaret Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  8. I send my love and prayers your way for strength to carry your cross and for Asher's well being with God's grace over looking him. He has many Angels in his favor.
    Love,
    Great Aunt Ginny

    ReplyDelete